What we do
The Bureau is the independent regulatory body of the water, wastewater and electricity sector in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi only.
Its primary duty is to ensure the continued availability of potable water for human consumption and electricity for use in hospitals and centres for the disabled, aged and sick.
General duties, listed in the relevant sector laws, cover a wide range of subjects to:
- ensure the security of the supply of water, wastewater services and electricity in the Emirate;
- ensure the connection and supply of water and electricity to all consumers on reasonable demand and connection to sewerage networks;
- ensure the availability of health and safety guidance regarding water, wastewater services and electricity supply to the public;
- publish information relating to standards of performance by licensed operators;
- take account of national and international environmental standards and consult with environmental bodies in the Emirate when necessary in relation to consumer and industry interests;
- have special regard to the interests of those persons whose lives may be endangered by the lack of potable water, sewerage services or electricity and others with special needs in connection with the cost and method of supply and the use of appliances and fittings;.
- promote competition in the water, wastewater and electricity sector;
- ensure the operation and development of a safe, efficient and economic sector in the Emirate;
- protect the interests of consumers as to the terms and conditions and price of supply; and
- protect the interests of users of sewerage
services in the Emirate.
The Bureau enforces the relevant sector laws through the licensing of ‘Regulated Activities’ in the sector which include:
- generation, transmission, distribution and sale of electricity;
- production, transmission, distribution and sale of water; and
- collection, treatment, and disposal of wastewater.
Once a licence is issued, the Bureau monitors, modifies where needed, and enforces conditions in licences to participant companies. It also has the powers to establish and monitor technical, performance, safety and customer standards.
Licensed operators that wish to dispose any or all of their assets, or purchase the assets of another generator, transmitter or distributor of water or electricity or another of sewerage services, must first obtain approval from the Bureau.