Water and electricity saving
Water saving tips:
- One bucket of water is enough to wash your car. Using a hosepipe wastes hundreds of litres of water.
- Use a broom instead of a hosepipe to clean outdoor paved areas. Using a hosepipe wastes hundreds of litres of water.
- Water your garden in the morning or the evening to reduce evaporation and put a layer of mulch around your plants.
- Check your outdoor taps, sprinklers and hoses for leaks.
- Monitor your water bill for unusually high consumption.
- Don’t let the water run when washing up and rinsing, fill one sink with wash water and the other with rinse water.
- Soak your pots and pans instead of letting the water run while you scrape them clean.
- Reuse dishwater for watering your houseplants.
- Wash your fruits and vegetables in a pan of water.
- Shorten your shower time by 2 minutes and you will save up to 500 litres per month.
- Save up to100 litres a month by turning off running water while brushing your teeth.
- Run your clothes washer and dishwasher only for full loads to save water and energy every time.
- Wash your dark clothes in cold water to save water and energy.
For further information, please visit: www.waterwise.gov.ae
Electricity saving tips:
- Set your AC thermostat temperature two degrees higher to save energy.
- Clean your air conditioner's filter regularly and perform AC maintenance to help your unit run more efficiently andtrim cooling costs.
- Keep doors and windows shut, close curtains or blinds during the hottest part of the day and check windows insulation to improve cooling efficiency in your home.
- Turn off your water heater when not needed.
- Consider energy-efficient electrical appliances that offer cycle and load size adjustments when shopping for new ones.
- Save up to 50% on your lighting costs by using compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) in place of comparable incandescent or halogen bulbs.
- Turn your lights off when you leave a room.
- Turn off appliances when not in use.
- Use your "sleep" and "hibernate" modes when your computer is idle.
- After you are done cooking or bathing, turn off kitchen, bath and other ventilating fans within 20 minutes.
- Set your refrigerator’s temperature to between 3 and 5.5 degrees Celsius, and the freezer between -15 and -18 degrees Celsius.
- Do not peek inside an oven more than necessary, when cooking.
For further information, please visit: www.powerwise.gov.ae