Transmission of water from production companies to the two distribution companies in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi is undertaken by theTransmission and Despatch Company (TRANSCO).
TRANSCO’s water transmission network consists of over 3,000 km of pipeline, predominately ductile iron, ranging in size from 500 mm to 1600 mm diameter. The network system is pressurised by pumping stations at production, transfer and terminal stations and is supported by storage reservoirs.
TRANSCO supplies drinking water to the two distribution companies and exports to northern emirates.
The current and developing transmission system infrastructure is illustrated below.
TRANSCO’s security standards are based on three components
- planning guidelines according to the Water Transmission Code
- contingency plans; and
- risk analysis.
The Bureau also works closely with TRANSCO to finalise the supporting documentation for the connection and interface agreements. This includes:
- identification of all the power and water connection points;
- the ownership boundaries;
- the responsibility for operation, maintenance, ownership and control at all sites; and
- review and approval of connection and interface agreements supporting documents