The majority of large-scale production companies fall into the independent water and power producers (IWPPs) category. They are joint ventures between a foreign partner and a government partner, usually on a 40 percent/ 60 percent equity allocation basis, respectively.
Some other production companies operate on a self-supply and/or time-banded basis.
In addition, renewable energy facilities are in operation in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi
The water and electricity sector in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi utilises a mixture of plant technologies as outlined below: ..
The water and electricity sector in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi utilises a mixture of plant technologies as outlined below:
- Combined cycle gas turbine (CCGT is the dominant technology employed in the power production sector in Abu Dhabi. The exhaust gases from the Gas Turbine are delivered to a heat recovery steam generator (HRSG). The high pressure, high temperature generated in the HRSG is then delivered to steam turbine to generate more power. The plant is normally coupled to a thermal desalination plant such as multi stage flash (MSF) device to produce water.
- Simple cycle gas turbine or open cycle gas turbine (OCGT) is another type adopted by the sector. The exhaust heat is not recovered and no desalination unit is coupled to the plant.
- Thermal plants rely on conventional boiler and steam turbine technology. Steam is also extracted to be utilised in MSF device to produce water.
- Wind power utilises wind to rotate turbines which drive an electricity generator. The UAE has its own wind turbine located at Sir Bani Yas Island, off the Abu Dhabi coast. The single unite can generate up to 0.8 MW.
- Concentrated solar panels
- Photovoltaic solar panels
- Diesel generators combine diesel engines with an electric generator to generate electricity. Diesel generators are used in places without connection to the power grid (e.g. small coastal islands) or as emergency power-supply if the grid fails (hospitals, government buildings, palaces, etc.)
The primary fuel used in the sector is natural gas. The natural gas is supplied by Abu Dhabi National Oil ..
The primary fuel used in the sector is natural gas. The natural gas is supplied by Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC) and Dolphin Energy Limited (DEL). ADWEC is responsible for procuring gas to the sector. The plants also stock diesel oil and crude oil as back -up fuel. According to the PWPA, generation companies have to stock up enough back-up fuel for their plants to run at full capacity for seven days.